This forum is now archived and read-only.

Source Citizens

Something cool is happening: we’re seeing more and more learners taking their education into their own hands, and building their own peer learning groups. Source-trained facilitators (usually entrepreneurs themselves) use peer learning in their own companies or create their own events too .

In a way, they’re good citizens, taking initiative themselves and convening people to take action. So we’ve started thinking about how to support that.

So what if we just level things off, and start a group of “Source Citizens” who build peer learning groups around their goals, and connect all of us to support each other?

Peer learning about peer learning :innocent:

We’re thinking about:

• :hammer_and_wrench: sharing existing Source tools and training that’s been used in The Royal Academy Of Engineering, Techstars, Farmhack and other big names that sounds impressive and you probably didn’t know we’ve helped… :slight_smile:
  • :newspaper: a little newsletter with quick group facilitation tips and methods - so we can up our game and make sure our groups rock
  • :goggles: opening the private facilitator-only area on this forum
  • :left_speech_bubble: running online discussions between Citizens to trade tips and help each other out
  • :mountain_snow: running regular mountain retreats where we hike to remote houses, meet each other, bond, and climb massive boulders like this.

index

Tools and kits for peer learning groups :electric_plug:

While we’ve designed a bunch of formats for educational organizations to put peer learning into their programs, we want to explore how we translate that experience to helping smaller, informal groups - or learners in these programs who feel the need to start something extra to improve their experiences.

Who can be a Citizen?

We want to invite people who are actively creating and engaging peer groups to help them with their learning goals in any way. We’re asking current members to invite others. Our current goal is to get towards 100 Citizens, then together, we’ll figure out what’s next.

How do I join? :running_woman:

To register your interest, just fill out this form:

Or feel free to reply here on this forum post or email Sal and Bart.

3 Likes

\m/

3 Likes

That’s a great idea, and reading this post I am realizing that I am already part of a few groups as such. A good example is when we had this small community (4 people) around the university, where we will gather together and think of different solutions and approaches to the projects or exams. It worked because everyone contributed to the process and we split the work among ourselves by breaking it down into specific tasks depending on the skillset of the others. That saves so much time and energy.

Another example is the ERASMUS community where informal and peer to peer learning is seen very often. The topic is announced in the project and people who are interested in it apply to participate. The sessions are mostly facilitated. People work in groups, create projects and then present them to the others afterward there is a discussion and everyone is engaged and everyone is learning relevent information & know-how.

In Soliya where I did my facilitation training, we have these workshops where facilitators gather to discuss what are the difficulties we face during our sessions, that’s the place where I learned the most because I am hearing nothing but actual experiences, situations, and solutions to different problems. This is the place where I as a junior facilitator can ask the senior facilitators how they approach a difficulty that I for example have. This is a hundred times more useful than listening to a lecture on how to deepen dialogue for example.

I will start spreading the word and reach out to people and communities which I think might be interested, so we can merge all these small communities learners into a big forum where we can all communicate and help each other.

4 Likes

I love this! In my locality these peer learning groups are happening a lot, from Consonance Club, Àsà Coterie to Growth Clinic.

They mostly start and grow on WhatsApp and finding information about the groups online is tricky unless you know members of these groups.

Thanks for your Citizenship application, Osioke! :star_struck:

Regarding

We’re doing interview rounds with people to talk about how they organise their self/group learning settings. May we contact you for a conversation about this?

1 Like

Sure! Contact away :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like