How did you realise peer learning was useful to you?

(Salim Virani) #1

Gerwin over at YES!Delft had a nice suggestion - instead of the part where we list a bunch of archetypes we had in mind when writing the book, why not share a few ideas of how peer learning became important to different people?

Like when Eric Mazur realizes his students aren’t getting his blackboard example so asks the students to explain it to each other.

For me, it was seeing Talkaoke in London, a round-table pop up talk show where anybody with something to say could join in. It was being used in art museums, festivals and local neighborhood events to understand what people thought. After hours of conversation all these random, meandering topics could be visualized to show clear connections and and a coherent community perspective.

2 Likes
(gerwin) #2

For me it was the business model training I co-hosted with Bart Doorneweerd. Bart managed to get the participants to work on exercises after only 5-10 minutes. The participants worked their way together through the concept of the business model canvas and what it could mean to them. This session showed to me that it is more valuable to get them to work right away instead of assuming they can only have a good start after a thourough content introduction (often to long, although you tried to keep it short).

2 Likes
(Bart Doorneweert) #3

That is the way to work with groups who have varying levels of experience/skills on a topic. You get people to instruct each other. You also have the added benefit that the more skilled participants also understand better how a beginner thinks, and can better instruct them; better than the workshop facilitator in front of the room even (in this case myself :slight_smile:)

Have you applied this way of working anywhere else after @gerwinnaar ?

(Rotana Ty) #4

On the same wavelength, Bart. Diversity and the right balance in terms of roles, nationalities, industries, level of experience / mastery / knowledge, ages matter when it comes to form peer learning groups to enable and facilitate peer learning. The facilitator of peer learning circles / sessions needs also to be the person who knows and / or has worked on the topic. Otherwise subject matter experts and / or networks would be requested to join the session.

2 Likes
(Bart Doorneweert) #5

Indeed. The educator doesn’t always need to be the domain expert too. Particularly when new domain expertise is emerging quickly, the most effective approach is to actually bring that person in who has the experience, rather than trying to play catch up to the latest yourself as an educator.

In your experience @rotanarotana, in what situations is Peer Learning the most useful to apply? When did you see results improve by switching from one approach to peer to peer support?

(Rotana Ty) #6

“In your experience @rotanarotana, in what situations is Peer Learning the most useful to apply? When did you see results improve by switching from one approach to peer to peer support?”

Well, when it comes to map soft and hard skills of people to help them to: 1. be aware of their strength 2. figure out learning ways and produce multimedia resources to develop and hone it. Better engagement and energy of peer learning sessions. Useful for participants and caring atmosphere.

1 Like